Volume Pricing (Log In to see Member Pricing)
RJ-11 and RJ-45 Modular Plug Tester
This Monoprice RJ11/RJ45 tester is a simple, yet powerful, tool that helps troubleshoot network and telephone cables for broken wires and crossed connections.
The tester consists of a main Master unit and a detachable Remote unit, each of which have an RJ11 and an RJ45 jack. The unit is powered with a 9-volt battery (not included) and can be stored in the included, zippered, synthetic leather case.
The Master and Remote unit each have a series of 9 LEDs that show the status of each line on the attached cable. The tester supports both a fast automatic and a slow automatic mode.
The following operating instructions supercede the instructions contained in the enclosed operator's manual.
To test a cable:
Insert one end in the appropriate jack on the Master unit and the other in the same type jack on the Remote unit.
IMPORTANT! DO NOT CONNECT TO A CABLE THAT IS PLUGGED IN TO A LIVE CIRCUIT AS THIS MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE TESTER OR OTHER EQUIPMENT ON THE CIRCUIT!
- Move the tester power switch to the "On" or "S" position. For best results, use the Slow Automatic mode (S position) to perform the test, as this gives time to watch the light sequence and ensure that the same LEDs illuminate on the Master and Remote simultaneously.
- Watch the LEDS on both the Master and Remote units. Under normal conditions, using a straight-through RJ45 cable in good condition, the LEDs will simultaneously illuminate in the sequence 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-G on both the Master and Remote units.
A faulty or miswired connection will produce a different result, as follows:
- If there a wire is broken or otherwise not connected the LED on the Master unit will illuminate, but no LED will illuminate on the Remote unit.
- If a wire is crossed, different LEDs will illuminate on the Master and Remote units. For example, if the 3rd LED on the Master unit and the 5th LED on the Remote unit both illuminate then the wire is crossed between pin 3 on the Master side and pin 5 on the Remote side.
- If there is a short circuit between two or more wires, no LEDs will illuminate on either the Master or Remote unit.
Note that when testing RJ11 or RJ12 cables with a 6P6C connection, only the LEDs 1-6 will illuminate. If using a 4P4C connection, only the LEDs 2-5 will illuminate.
This product requires a 9 volt battery, which is not included!
- 1x Cable Tester Master unit
- 1x Cable Tester Remote unit (attached to Master)
- 1x Synthetic leather, zippered carrying case
PROS: Cheap price, easy to use
CONS: no coaxial/rg6 tester, low reliability, used 9v battery instead of AA.
Thank you for your review and bringing this to our attention. I will be informing our product managers as well as submitting a complaint regarding this issue. For now however, I can assist you in setting up an RMA for a replacement to see if that will work better for you. We do offer a 30 day return policy as well as a one year warranty on this item. Obtaining a replacement will be of no additional cost to you. Please let me know if you would like to continue with a replacement and I can get that started for you right away.
had the electrician re-wire the entire house on his dime. money well spent on my part. wished it used aa or aaa batteries instead of 9v ...
PROS: simple design
easy to use
CONS: needs 9v battery
When I saw this tester, I decided to throw it in with another order. I am very glad I did. A month ago, I got a call from one of my clients asking me to check out why he could not get a computer on to his network. Using this tester, I was able to verify that all of the cables were good within a couple of minutes, so I could eliminate that as a cause very quickly. I ran into a similar situation for another client last week. This tester allowed me to isolate a bad cable quickly, and get the computer involved back on line in minutes. So this tester not only saved me time, but also made me look very professional.
The only drawback is that it needs a 9 volt battery. Not a real big deal, but, I just need to remember to check that the battery is good before going out on a service call. It would really be nice if it had a USB input to tap power from a nearby computer, just in case I arrived at a service call with a dead battery.
Overall, for the low price and time savings, this has been a terrific purchase.
PROS: Low cost
Easy to use
CONS: Needs a 9V battery
PROS: Very easy to use and functions well for what it's needed for, which is the test continuity on all 8 pins. I don't have a shielded cable to test, to verify that it also successfully tests the ground connection, though there is an LED on the tester for the shield or ground.
CONS: None so far. Only thing to keep in mind is, if you purchase ANY simple tester like this, if you are by yourself you have to start the test at one end of the cable and go to the other end to see what the test result is on that end. It's fine, just something to keep in mind. If you want something where you go attach one end to a cable, go back to the main tester unit and see the test result from one end to the other (and back again), you'll need to spend considerably more money.
PROS: Works great!
PROS: does the job
PROS: Cheap and gives you confidence in your wiring.
CONS: Does not test for speed for that you need a much more expensive tool.
2 weeks ago
PROS: Great tester for the price- Can't find anything wrong in the first few days of using it. I need to buy one for the workplace now...
CONS: None so Far.