Volume Pricing (Log In to see Member Pricing)
USB-C Male to DisplayPort Male Cable, 3ft Black
USB-C is here and it is a real game changer!
- New reversible Type C connector plugs in the first time, every time!
- Use a single cable for power, video, networking, and data
- USB 3.1 SuperSpeed+ supports up to 10Gbps data rate
- Charge and power devices with up to 100 watts of power
Until this point we've had to deal with a number of different USB connector types with different shapes and sizes. One thing that is common among all the various USB Type A and Type B connectors is that they are all asymmetrical, which means that there is a top and a bottom, as anyone who has fumbled around trying to insert a USB cable by feel can attest. The old USB standards are also relatively slow and can carry very little charging power.
The USB 3.1 standard introduces the new symmetrical/reversible Type C connector. The new connector is only slightly larger than the older mini and micro Type B connectors, which means that it can be used on mobile devices, replacing the existing use of mini or micro connectors. Also, unlike the earlier use of different connectors for the host (Type A) and peripheral (Type B) devices, the Type C connector is used at both ends. Best of all, the connector is symmetrical, which means no more fumbling around to figure out which side is supposed to be on top. Just grab either end and plug it in!
In addition to the new connector, the USB 3.1 standard increases the data transfer rate to 10GBps, which is fast enough to carry full HD video and multichannel, uncompressed audio. The standard also increases the power handling capabilities to 100 watts, which means that USB C will replace existing power, video, networking, and data cables. Apple is taking this to the extreme, with the latest MacBook Air® featuring only a single USB C port for charging, video, and connecting peripheral devices.
This 3-foot video cable features a male Type C connector on one end and a male DisplayPort connector on the other end.
|USB Standard||USB 3.1|
|Type||USB Type C male to DisplayPort male|
|Housing||PVC Mould, Full metal jacket assembly|
|Data Transfer Speeds||Up to 5Gbps|
PROS: Default delivery arrived within 1 week
Cable worked 1st time upon plug-in
Nice feel to cable, mat black, seems high quality
CONS: (Not a cable issue, but running the external monitor plugged directly into MacBook depletes battery from 100% to 50% in 3 hrs) [now I need a usb-c hub :))]
I withheld a star for the following reasons:
1. The cable's about 1' too short for me to nicely tuck it into my monitor arm. Ruined an otherwise perfect experience for me, and I didn't get any other choices for cable lengths. Really disappointed that while Monoprice sells great, low-priced A/V cables at longer lengths, this $35 cable+adapter (literally) came up short.
2. The end that connects to the display seems cheap/flimsy, and is very large. Not a huge deal because I don't see it, but it further hurts my ability to route the cable nicely.
Anyway, for most folks looking to hook up their existing 4K displays with MST to a new MacBook Pro, and hope to maintain that 60Hz refresh rate, this cable does the trick.
PROS: Works well. Well made. Nice soft-touch plastics.
CONS: Nothing wrong with the cable