These in-ceiling speakers feature a triple driver design with two pivoting titanium silk membrane dome tweeters for superior sonic performance. The woofer is constructed of an advanced glass composite to deliver high fidelity, distortion-free audio. Each speaker features two sets of speaker wire terminals, allowing you to wire each speaker for single-speaker stereo. When using single speaker stereo, you can achieve good stereo separation by pointing the tweeters in different directions to allow the sound to reflect around and fill the room.
- Exotic glass composite woofer for distortion free reproduction
- Oversized magnets for more impactful bass
- Dual precision titanium silk membrane dome tweeters for broad frequency spectrum, sweeter highs and pure sonic clarity
- Pivoting tweeters allow you to point the acoustics to the prime listening position for a more accurate and immersive sonic experience
- 40W nominal and 100W maximum power handling capacity provides ample headroom so these drivers won't be easily overdriven or blown out
- 8 ohms standard impedance ensure they can be safely driven by even the most modest home theater receivers
- To wire a speaker for single speaker stereo mode, keep the jumper set to the "Standard single speaker stereo" selection. Wire one of the sets of speaker terminals normally, with red/positive wired to red/positive. For the other set of speaker terminals, connect the wires in the reverse to a normal connection with the red/positive source connected to the black/negative terminal and the black/negative source connected to the red/positive terminal. This ensures that you will not exerience any phase cancellation of the audio from each driver.
- For normal operation, set the jumper to the "parallel connection" option. Wire the speaker normally, with red/positive going to red/positive and black/negative going to black/negative. It does not matter which of the two terminals sets you connect to the audio source.
- User's Manual (Aug 30, 2011)
Please note that the video on this page shows the specific instructions for installation of PID 4101. However, it is representational of the steps, tools, and types of procedures that would be used for the installation of any in-wall or in-ceiling speaker and is included on this page for reference purposes only. Please refer to the installation instructions of the in-wall or in-ceiling speaker you have for the specific dimensions and installation procedures.
Note that the price listed in the video was the price for PID 4101 at the time the video was made. Prices can fluctuate up and down based on production costs and the value of the US$ against foreign currencies.
|Frequency Response||57 Hz ~ 20 kHz|
|Power Handling Capacity||40 Watts x 2 Nominal, 100 Watts x 2 Maximum|
|Woofer||6.5" Glass Composite Woofer w/ 13.3oz Magnet and rubber surrounds.|
|Tweeter||Dual 1" Titanium Silk Membrane Dome (Pivoting) 20° swivel|
|Sensitivity||85dB ±2dB (1.0m/2.83V)|
|Crossover||12dB per Octave|
- 2x 6.5" 3-way In-Ceiling Speaker w/ grill
- 1x Installation instructions
- 1x Cutout template and paint mask
- 1x Grill removal tool
- 1x Grill putty
|6.5-inch 3-way Dual Voice Coil Stereo In-Ceiling Speakers (pair), 40W/100W|
|Question: How do I connect the wires to this speaker? How are the stereo connections made?br|
|Answer: If you are running a stereo signal to the speaker (like right and left), then hook up each set of speaker wires to a separate terminal on the back of the speaker. So both terminals will be used. Keep the jumper cable set at “standard single speaker stereo”. On one of the speaker terminals only reverse the positive and negative wires, so your positive speaker wire will go to black and your negative will go to red. This will make sure you don’t have phase cancellation problems.brbrIf you are sending one channel to the speaker (like center or just left or just right) then put your speaker wire into one of the terminals (doesn’t matter which one) and set the jumper cables to the “parallel connection” side.brbrIt does not matter which terminal side you hook up your speaker wires to. This speaker does not know right or left channel. It will separate them to play stereo, but which is the left and which is the right side, doesn’t matter, because the tweeters face down anyways, so right and left is not important. br|
|Question: How do I install these speakers in the wall or ceiling?|
|Answer: There are clips that secure it to the wall or ceiling boards. You don''''''''t need any additional box or bracket. You simply cut out a hole in the wall or ceiling with the template provided, insert the speakers and when you turn the mounting screws located on the face of the speakers underneath the grills, the clips will engage and secure the speaker in place.|
|Question: Can I use these speakers as an LCR (left/center/right) or used a match set for all my surrounds, or is it better to have specific types of speakers for specific locations.|
|Answer: Opinions will vary even among experts about the proper type of speaker to use. The bottom line is choose what suites your needs and tastes best. |
Some of the arguements are as follows:
Using match speakers all around make it a lot easier to match the timber and tonal balance across a soundstage and around your room. This prevents a character in a movie who walks from one side of the room to another from sounding like Mike Tyson on one side and then James Earl Jones and back to Mike.
On the other hand. Most dialog comes from the center channel of a system in order to anchor the voices to the screen. The human voice tends to represent the upper mid bass frequencies, so dedicated center channels will have dual woofer cones to better produce this range of frequencies. Since dialog can easily be drowned out by ambient noises in the soundtrack, this helps to keep dialog clear and understandable.
|Question: There is insulation behind my wall. Is it safe to install the speaker without a box?|
|Answer: In-wall speakers are designed with the posibility of insulation in mind. The insulation will not harm the speakers or create any hazzard. Even regular box speakers have insulation in side them to reduce the effects of standing sound waves.|
|Question: Can I put an in-wall speaker in the ceiling or an in-ceiling speaker into the wall?|
|Answer: You can put an in-wall speaker into a ceiling however, because of the mounting depth of the speakers, you can not usually fit an in-ceiling speaker into a wall.|
|Question: Can these speakers be installed into a suspended ceiling?|
|Answer: Yes, they can. The usual method would be to use the same suspension wires used to hold the panel frames up to anchor the speaker frames.|
| rated by 65 user(s) |
Click here to review!
If you want to write a review, please login first by clicking here.
Monoprice welcomes your feedback. The review you submit will be displayed on the product's review page after it has been verified. It should take about 2-3 business days for this process. Monoprice verifies customer reviews and will publish them after making sure they comply with our review guidelines. You may be contacted by Monoprice regarding your submission.
We will remove reviews that:
- Contain profanity or other objectionable content. Should you find any profanity or objectionable content, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fail to focus on the product. Complaints about shipping or customer service issues will be forwarded to Customer Service to be addressed. Reviews that discuss other products, catalog copy, pricing, or other ancillary issues will be removed.
- Contain advertisements or promotional materials or contain links to external content. Monoprice will also remove reviews submitted by or on behalf of a company with an interest in a competing product.
- Any other content we deem to be inappropriate.
If you believe you may have received a defective unit, remember that Monoprice backs everything we sell with a warranty. Please use our automated return service to request a replacement. Any other issues with your order not directly related to the product itself should be directed to our online customer support chat.
Note: All or part of any product review including the Review Title, "Your Nickname", Rating, Pros/Cons, images and all other parts of the review itself may be used by Monoprice in future marketing campaigns or promotions in any media. Submission of a product review signifies consent that the information you submit may be used at Monoprice's discretion without any further notice or expectation of compensation. You are further representing that any submission is wholly an original creation by you and/or that any portion taken from third party sources have fully cleared for use.