The Monoprice Lineman's Test Set is a professional piece of equipment designed for telephone installers, repair technicians, and phone system maintenance personnel. This durable, line-powered device is full of features for testing existing and newly installed communications systems for proper functionality.
The bright red handset is both impact and water resistant. The rubber-covered keypad and large slide switches are designed for use with gloves, making this a convenient tool for line workers. The large, heavy-duty alligator clips support five different types of wire connections, including a bed-of-nails and an insulation piercing spike. The connecting cord is covered in cloth for durability and is equipped with a strain-relief connection at the RJ11X connector. A heavy-duty, spring-loaded belt clip allows the handset to be conveniently hung from a maintenance belt.
The tester has a three-position volume switch, which can provide up to 12 dB of volume gain. The ring mode can be set to send either DTMF tones or rotary dial pulses. A three-position mode switch allows the tester to be set to Monitor, Ring, or Talk modes:
- The Monitor mode provides a high-impedance coupling to the telephone line, allowing it to be monitored without interfering with existing conversations, data transmissions, or signalling.
- The Ring mode allows the tester to be on-hook with an electronic ringer connected to the telephone line. This provides a low-impedance coupling to the telephone line for monitoring of optional line identification tones.
- The Talk mode allows the technician to seize the line or initiate signalling. From this mode a number can be dialed using the keypad. Hanging up the line is as simple as switching to the Ring or Monitor mode.
The handset includes an automatic last-number redial function, which is capable of repeating up to 31 digits. It also features a number memory storage capability, allowing the technician to store up to 10 different numbers of up to 15 digits each, including the insertion of 3-second pauses for use with trunk lines. A pre-installed CR2032 lithium battery maintains the stored number memory and can be easily replaced by removing two screws and opening the handset.
To assist in line testing, the kit includes a 5-inch, 4-wire RJ11 test lead with spade lugs on the ends of each wire. Additionally, a 2.5mm headphone jack allows the technician to utilize a microphone/headset unit instead of the handset speaker and mic. When not in use, the headphone jack is protected from moisture with a rubber cover.
- User's Manual (Jul 15, 2011)
|Loop Limit||4K ohms max at 48 VDC (5k meter - 26-gauge non-loaded) nominal 15 mA minimum loop current|
|DC Resistor||150 ohms typical t 80 mA current|
|Monitor Impedance||Low Impedance = 600 ohms typical at 1 KHz (Ring mode)|
|High Impedance = 100K ohms typical at 1 KHz (Monitor mode)|
|Rotary Dial Output|
|Pulsing Rate||10 +/- 0.5 pulses/sec|
|Percent Break||60% +/- 2%|
|Interdigital Pause||8.5 ms typical|
|Leakage During Break||> 50K ohms|
|Tone Frequency Error||+/- 1.5%|
|Level of Tone Pair||+ dBm max, -8 dBm min|
|Low vs High Tone Difference||-4 dBm max|
|Length||22.4 cm (8.8 inches)|
|Width||7.12 cm (2.8 inches)|
|Height||7.0 cm (2.75 inches)|
|Weight||380 g (13.4 ounces) max|
Included in the Box:
- 1x MCT-1900-RD Testing Handset
- 1x 61" RJ11/Alligator Clip Test Lead (attached to handset)
- 1x Spring-loaded Metal Belt Clip (attached to handset)
- 1x CR2032 Lithium Battery (installed inside handset)
- 1x 5" 4-wire RJ11 Test Lead with Spade Lugs
| rated by 7 user(s) |
Click here to review!
If you want to write a review, please login first by clicking here.
Monoprice welcomes your feedback. The review you submit will be displayed on the product's review page after it has been verified. It should take about 2-3 business days for this process. Monoprice verifies customer reviews and will publish them after making sure they comply with our review guidelines. You may be contacted by Monoprice regarding your submission.
We will remove reviews that:
- Contain profanity or other objectionable content. Should you find any profanity or objectionable content, please contact us at email@example.com
- Fail to focus on the product. Complaints about shipping or customer service issues will be forwarded to Customer Service to be addressed. Reviews that discuss other products, catalog copy, pricing, or other ancillary issues will be removed.
- Contain advertisements or promotional materials or contain links to external content. Monoprice will also remove reviews submitted by or on behalf of a company with an interest in a competing product.
- Any other content we deem to be inappropriate.
If you believe you may have received a defective unit, remember that Monoprice backs everything we sell with a warranty. Please use our automated return service to request a replacement. Any other issues with your order not directly related to the product itself should be directed to our online customer support chat.
Note: All or part of any product review including the Review Title, "Your Nickname", Rating, Pros/Cons, images and all other parts of the review itself may be used by Monoprice in future marketing campaigns or promotions in any media. Submission of a product review signifies consent that the information you submit may be used at Monoprice's discretion without any further notice or expectation of compensation. You are further representing that any submission is wholly an original creation by you and/or that any portion taken from third party sources have fully cleared for use.